Job title: Photonics Hardware Engineer
Salary: £40,000-£45,000 pa + share options
Application deadline: 31 August 2017
Suggested start date: 2 October 2017
Oxford HighQ aims at developing new analytical tools for nanoparticle and chemical sensing based on optical microresonators. Our core technology relies on open microcavities, which confine light within wavelength-scale volumes. Trapped photons interact up to 10,000 times with an analyte within the microcavity volume, vastly amplifying sensitivity.
We are currently looking to transfer these laboratory-based experiments into robust portable devices for commercial release. Therefore, we are looking for experienced engineers in photonics and microfluidics to join our team. Two Photonics Hardware Engineer positions are available.
Oxford HighQ will be based within one of Oxford’s Innovation Centres, offering a unique environment in which world-class scientists work alongside entrepreneurs and industrial colleagues to translate cutting-edge research into commercial opportunities. The vibrant start-up community offers many opportunities for networking and regular social events.
Working at the core of our product development team, the successful candidates will be jointly responsible for:
- Design, construction, testing and optimisation of robust optical measurement subsystems and associated fluid delivery mechanisms.
- Design and construction of user-operated and automated optical alignment systems
- Design, fabrication and characterisation of optical resonators
- Integration of subsystems into larger instruments
- Management and delivery of projects within time and budget constraints
- Development of innovative and feasible solutions within the project’s framework
- Communication with customers and suppliers
- Doctorate in photonics or a closely related subject
- Strong experience in at least one of the following fields: industrial photonics, microfluidics, electronics, nanophotonics
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Industrial experience
- Design, fabrication and testing of optical microresonators
- Experience in optofluidics
- Experience of nanoparticle or chemical analysis and/or applications
- Experience of nanofabrication or Focused Ion Beam nanopatterning
To find out more please email email@example.com
If you wish to apply, please send a CV, a cover letter addressing the listed criteria, and contact details for two referees.