Scientific Software Engineer
Oxford HighQ is a spin-out from the University of Oxford, developing next-generation chemical sensors and nanoparticle analysers based on highly reflective micro-fabricated mirrors. Our company is based on more than 7 years of research at the University and aims at opening up the commercial potential of this patented technology. Our first target is to develop laboratory instruments for application in nanoparticle characterisation, for example for research in nanomedicine. In the medium-term, we aim to miniaturise this technology to deliver high sensitivity sensors for environmental sensing. We are seeking a capable and motivated STEM graduate to join our team as a Scientific software engineer.
We are looking for a talented software engineer with an expertise in hardware interfacing. The candidate will have developed hardware/software interfaces for scientific projects, using Python, C++ or any object-oriented languages. The appointee will develop algorithms to run and automate our instruments and will help with implementing them into our C++ software. Experience in optics, photonics, imaging or a related field would help the candidate in this task. The appointee will be joining a young team, in the early stage of the company development, and will have the opportunity to grow your professional and scientific skills alongside the growth of the business.
- Development of code and algorithms for: Instrument operation and data acquisition and data analysis
- Quality assurance of software/hardware interfacing software
- Support for implementation of the algorithms in our C++ software
- Reports to Chief Technology Officer Essential Criteria: • Programming experience (eg C, C#, C++, Python, Matlab, Labview)
- Experience of data acquisition of physical or electronic signals
- Experience in optics, photonics and imaging
- Willingness to learn new techniques and apply them in an interdisciplinary environment
- Independent self-starter with excellent organisational skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Good team-working and communications skills
- Eligible to work in the UK Desirable
- Experience of instrument development
- Experience in industry and/or in product development
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
Master’s level degree (or higher) in a science or engineering subject
Job Type & remuneration
Full Time. Salary: £40,000 – £50,000 depending on experience.
Generous company pension scheme.
How to Apply
In writing with a CV and cover letter which should say why you would like to work for us and refer specifically to how your experience meets the key responsibilities and criteria outlined above.
Please ensure you have the right to work in the UK before applying. Email: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is Friday 31st January 2020 at 17:00hrs.